Please wait while we find your lowest rate.
Things to Do
- Newburyport Brewing Company - This hometown brewing company is a labor of love - specifically, the founders’ affinity for beer, Newburyport, and music (in that order). Swing by for some pouring and touring, and you may catch an up-and-coming local band jamming on the sound stage.
- Joppa Flats - Take a trip over the river and through the woods to the Joppa Flats Education Center. Overlooking the Merrimack River, this educational wonderland is a Newburyport MA activity that begs to be explored by visitors of all ages through guided tours, touch tanks, and art exhibits.
- Parker River National Wildlife Refuge - It’s marshes for miles at Plum Island’s own National Wildlife Refuge. Established in 1941, Parker River provides a pristine coastal habitat for over 300 species of resident and visiting birds - plus a few other mammalian and reptilian neighbors.
- Ninth Wave Sailing Charters - Offering both public and private sails, you have the choice of being an active first mate or relaxed bench warmer. The boat departs from the mouth of the Merrimack River and sails along the coastline or out to sea, wherever the wind takes it.
- Yankee Clipper Harbor Tours - Hop aboard for a waterside tour of the Merrimack River and Newburyport Harbor. Take in the spectacular scenery with a beer or glass of wine in hand (for the 21+ set) on this 1-hour narrated tour. A popular Newburyport MA activity.
- Whale Watching - Sitting just beyond Newburyport and the Merrimack River, the Gulf of Maine is a hub of whale activity from May to October. The spacious Captains Lady III offers front row viewing of Humpback, Finback, and Minke whales.
- Maudsly State Park - Formerly the private estate of a prominent local family, these exquisite grounds are now a Newburyport MA activity for everyone’s enjoyment. 19th century gardens and plantings, rolling meadows, and towering pines provide the perfect backdrop for meandering strolls, gentle bike rides, and informal picnics.
- Custom House Maritime Museum - Did you know that Newburyport is the birthplace of the US Coast Guard? Honor the town’s maritime heritage and unique role in American history at this carefully restored museum.
- Plum Island Kayak - Test out the waters - and your mettle - with a stand-up paddleboard or kayak rental from Plum Island Kayak. The experienced staff of locals offers guided rides, instruction, and tips for getting the best water’s edge views around.
- Bike Rentals - More of a land lubber? Take a 2-wheeled tour on your own bike or on a rental from Riverside. Paved pathways and top rated trails await.
- Newburyport Farmer's Market - This eclectic market is a wealth of locally grown and produced fruits, vegetables, baked goods, and homemade specialities. Swing by for some savory samples every Sunday year-round from 9am-1pm at the Tannery Marketplace.
- Firehouse Center for the Arts - Lest you think Newburyport is all about the outdoors, the city is home to some can’t miss indoor attractions as well. The Firehouse is a cultural mainstay in the Merrimack Valley, staging productions, programs, and exhibitions year-round in its nearly 200 seat theater.